In the recent times blogging has seen significant rise in India, though its not a new phenomenon in today’s information age. Blogging as a profession is still quite a new thing in India.
Times are changing, 10 years back we were not even aware that there can be a profession called blogging. Blogging has evolved over time, there are casual informative sites and then there are corporate website. The corporate website have to tell their story to a specific segment of their industry, at different parts of the buying process. It is no longer as an index to document one’s thoughts but a tool for increasing user engagement, building traffic and brand awareness. So let’s look at how times are changing and things you need to do as a blogger.
Blogging goes mainstream
In 2011, Hattrick Associates stated that 1 out of every 6 people in the world have a blog. A lot of the early evolution of blogging can be accredited to the shift in technology. Technology made it simple and inexpensive for anyone to start blogging in just 20 minutes. The price of hosting a website has dropped drastically, and installing a CMS can be achieved with click of a button.
Personal blogging has evolved
The personal blog is still a casual one; bloggers come and go without worrying about revenue. Personal blogging is a hobby more than a business, but it can be both for some people. The area of interest might range from food, travel, lifestyle and many more.
Social media has turned into a blogging necessity, and now there are several mediums for the personal blogging. The blogging can be done through video like youtube and across several platforms.
Evolution of business blogging
Study conducted in 2011 showed that people are twice as likely to buy a product recommended on a blog than they are to buy a product recommended by a celebrity. And, its all due to the trust factor.
The business blogs have evolved over time, and now can act as a increase in brand awareness and content marketing. Each brand has a story to tell focussed towards, informing readers, content strategies, buyers personas and providing solution to a problem.
The importance of contents
There has been shift from smaller blog posts to longer ones due to the Google updates which enforced the need for quality content. This means a well-planned, detailed, informative content that is longer in length will gain more traction.
Also, according to studies longer posts gets far more social shares than the shorter posts. So, these indicators proves that readers are looking more and more for the longer informative contents.
Long article – Anything over 2,000 words
Short article – Anything below 2,000 but usually under 1,000
With the changing times, there now multiple options of blogging medium. You need to use them based on the type of your business or personal blogs.
Video blogging – Using video for blogging like Youtube, bloggers are using video platforms as a type of blog.
Microblogging – Platforms includes Tumblr and Twitter, among many others. These are mostly used for promotions as an extension to the normal one’s in the microblogging sites.
Things you need to know
- Blog on a topic that you are passionate about – With time, blogging may not seem as much fun as it used to be when you started it. This is so because if you are writing about something which is not your passion.
- Blogging is not quick money – Go easy, blogging might not start fetching money instantly. It may take a year or more so be patient. If you have financial obligations, start blogging part time and do it regularly. We will recommend you to do it everyday early in the morning or later in the evening, before or after your day job is over. Don’t wait for things to happen, the time is now. So, start working on your blogs. If you are able to achieve good reader base and traffic, you can start making money through online advertisement and affiliate marketing.
- Take it seriously – People feel that blogging does not require serious efforts, which is not true. It requires commitment, skills and dedication to make it successful. So choose the topic that you feel interested in.
- Take advice from other bloggers – Go and take advice from other bloggers in the same field. Their advice might be valuable as you get to hear about the challenges they might have faced so you can avoid those problems.
- Blog regularly – There is no perfect number for blog articles rather more important thing is consistency. You need to be constantly writing even if you write one a week or twice a day. Writing regularly keeps people engaged with your site and they coming regularly in expectation of new contents.
- Copyright awareness – Never copy paste the contents from other blogs. This violates the intellectual property thus having significant implications. The implications might result towards barring the site from search engines or completely brought down by filing a DMCA with search engines and hosting companies. Many of the blogs allow you to publish a small part, few lines or one paragraph or excerpt with link-back to the source so check for the copyright policy of the website.
- Read, read and read – Knowledge comes from different sources, so subscribe yourself to blogs of your interests, email subscription. Read magazines and books of your field. So expand your knowledge which will reflect in your blog.
- Understand your users – Understand the interest of your users. The popularity of your site will depend upon how much your users liked it. Read all the comments provided by them and try replying to them. Run competitions or ask questions at times, this helps to engage readers and makes them come back often.
- Build social presence – Create a social presence in Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks which will help you to spread the word about your blogs. Search engine optimization has also evolved, and has forced many bloggers to promote their content via content marketing, in order to benefit their search engine rankings.
So let’s get started.