This week, Gozoomo and Foodpanda reduced their workforce by 35 percent and 15 percent respectively. Salman Khan launched his e-commerce store on his 50th birthday. There were many more news throughout the week, so let’s look at some of the news which made headlines in the startup space this week.
1. Peppertap bids adieu to 2015 in style, acquires Jiffstore
Earlier the CEO of Peppertap had announced that they are open to acquisitions. And as a latest development, Delhi-based PepperTap, a leading on-demand grocery delivery service company has acquired Jiffstore, a grocery online delivery solution company based in Bengaluru.
2. Yuvraj Singh’s YouWeCan all set to back Rahul Yadav’s all new venture Intelligent Interfaces
As per the latest turn of events, Yuvaraj Singh’s innovative venture “YouWeCan” has invested an undisclosed amount in Rahul Yadav’s latest venture “Intelligent Interfaces”. The new startup is reportedly a data analytics and visualisation product that will be used for e-governance.
3. Salman Khan Launches E-commerce Store KhanMarketOnline On His 50th Birthday
As a treat for his fans across the world on his 50th birthday, superstar Salman Khan on Sunday unveiled an online shopping portal named “Khan Market”. Though it is yet to open for use, the market has begun registrations.
4. Foodpanda fires 15 percent workforce, cites automation as cause
Indian food-tech industry has seen frequent layoff and shutdown this year, now Foodpanda has said that it has brought down its India workforce by 15 percent.
5. MobiKwik raises Rs 44 crore from Sequoia Capital and Tree Line Asia
MobiKwik, the Mobile wallet and online recharge company has raised funding of Rs 44 Crore, in a mixture of debit and equity, from its existing investors, SequoiaCapital and Asia-focused hedge fund Tree Line Asia.
6. Used-car marketplace Gozoomo fires over 130 employees, 35% staffs effected
Peer-to-peer platform for used car transactions Gozoomo, has reduced over 35 per cent in December effecting 130 employees. Data collection and on-boarding agents for Gozoomo in all cities were affected.
7. Car services startup Bumper raises $500,000 in seed funding from SAIF Partners
Bangalore based car care service providing startup, Bumper has raised $500,000 in a seed round led by SAIF Partners. The funding will be used towards building a knowledge house of technology experts in solving car related problems.
8. PM Modi’s StartUp India initiative to kick-off from January 16
Now, the much talked about campaign by Prime Minister Narendra Modi will soon be in action. PM Modi announced that the action plan will be unveiled on January 16, he is also urging states to take part in it and spread the word.
9. Uber crosses one billionth ride mark this Christmas
Uber crossed the one billionth ride mark since its inception, with Marvin booking the taxi ride in London in Ara’s Honda. Uber is celebrating the one billionth ride by awarding 10,000 pound worth Uber rides free to Marvin, the passenger.
10. Housing.com begins stake sale talk with Snapdeal, News Corp
Housing.com has begun discussions with Snapdeal as well as News Corp, for a strategic stake sale, as the startup tries to cope up with the past year of stress, which had a major impact on the company’s position in the real estate market.