Freecharge ropes in former Obi Worldphone senior executive Karthik Rajeshwaran as Director Strategy
Former Obi Worldphone senior executive Karthik Rajeshwaran has been named as the new Director – Strategy, of the Bengaluru-headquartered Freecharge. According to a statement by the company, Rajeshwaran has been tasked to “usher in consumer-centric innovations to expand revenue across new business opportunities.”
Govind Rajan, chief executive, Freecharge said in a statement
“He (Rajeshwaran) brings in a fresh perspective and inspired energy to tread us in new and exciting directions. I am certain that with his insights on digital consumers and evolving digital habits, we will accelerate our innovations,”
Accordingly to the Press Releas, while at Obi Worldphone, Rajeshwaran led the company’s global marketing and growth, with the responsibility of launching smartphones and crafting brand communication plans across Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines and select Middle Eastern countries.
“With more and more of our lifestyle habits taking a digital avatar, our dependency on digital payments is unprecedented. It’s an opportune time to be in the fin-tech space and an even bigger joy to be part of an iconic brand like Freecharge,”
Karthik has studied from The Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology and Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow alum began his career at domestic FMCG conglomerate Hindustan Unilever, the official statement added.
- In May earlier this year, Rajan took over as CEO from Freecharge co-founder Kunal Shah, who is currently serving as the chairman of the Board.
- Rajan joined Snapdeal in July last year from Bharti Airtel, as its chief strategy officer, but was almost immediately tasked with running the day-to-day operations of Bengaluru-based Freecharge, before formally assuming the CEO’s position.
- In September last year, the company appointed former Cartesian executive Sudeep Tandon as its chief business officer, responsible for corporate strategy and strategic tie-ups for the company.
- Separately, in December, it named former Airtel Money Chief Financial Officer Anshul Kheterpal as its new finance head,
- In April this year, the Snapdeal-owned company brought on board Fareed Jawad as its principal product architect and vice president – Payments.