Get our latest app for startup stories, news, ideas, research and analysis. Install Now »
Elon Musk is now considered Earth’s most future-oriented person. He is an American entrepreneur, inventor and investor. He is best known for his role as CEO of electric-car manufacturer Tesla Motors, and as co-founder of online money transfer system PayPal, and of commercial space program SpaceX. But, there’s much more to know about this electrifying man.
Here are the 10 Interesting facts about Elon Musk – “The Real Life Iron Man”,
1. Elon Musk was born in South Africa in 1971. At age 12, Musk taught himself computer programming and created a video game called Blastar, which he sold for $500.
2. After graduating, Musk moved to California in order to begin graduate school in physics at Stanford University. He left Stanford after just two days, deciding instead to take advantage of the Internet boom, which was in full swing.
3. Elon used to live throughout his college years living on less than $1 a day in food. He called it a forced experiment in avoiding scurvy. For him the secret to preventing sickness was adding a small amount of Red Pepper to his noodles.
4. Elon Musk became a millionaire by the age of 28. After dropping out of grad school, Musk quickly established his first company –Zip2, which provided online newspapers with maps and business directories. He sold the company in 1999 for $307 million.
5. SpaceX office was used as filming location for the shooting of Iron Man 2 and even Elon Musk did a guest role in this movie. The director of this movie Jon Favreau stated that Elon was the inspiration for the character of Iron Man.
6. Elon Musk is a workaholic and he works almost 100 hours per week as he a very tight schedule looking over Telsa motors and SpaceX.
7. In November 2013, Motor Trend named the Model S its auto of the year. He took the chance to deride previous presidential contender Mitt Romney, who called Tesla a loser amid the crusade. Romney “was right about the object of that announcement,” Musk said, “however not the subject.”
8. Elon Musk owns a James Bond car. The car which was used in 1977 James Bond flick “The Spy Who Loved Me”. When the car was public auctioned Elon bought it. However he was disappointed and stated that “What I’m going to do is upgrade it with a Tesla electric powertrain and try to make it transform for real.”
9. Musk aspires for his Falcon rocket to someday make space tourism and the colonization of Mars a realistic goal for mankind. Elon Musk says that his long-term goal is to help humanity through SpaceX by creating columns over Mars because it’s the safest option compared to other planets. Musk has reduced the cost of reaching the International Space Station by 90%, bringing it down from $1 billion per mission to just $60 million.
10. Elon Musk has been married three times, having married (and subsequently divorced) British actress Talulah Riley twice. Musk has five sons (one set of twins and one set of triplets),whom he shares custody of with his first wife, Canadian fantasy author Justine Wilson.